The former Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal requests BCB (Bangladesh Cricket Board) for his exclusion from the central contract. Earlier, Tamim had clearly stated that only after consulting the BCB president Nazmul Hassan, he would decide anything on his international career. However, that meeting ended abruptly as Hasan was occupied with his upcoming election campaign.
Tamim Iqbal’s injury didn’t allow him to play in Asia Cup 2023. After tremendous controversy around him and all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim was excluded from the ODI World Cup 2023.
Jalal Yunus, the operations committee chairman of BCB told the press about Tamim’s request at Sher-e-Bangla Stadium, Mirupur. He stated that Tamim had told him about his plans and had requested exclusion from the central contract list.
Further, Jalal added that Tamim will be deciding his next path of activity. The decision will be taken based on the meeting of the BCB president after the national election. Till that time we will have to wait for the proper announcement or statement.
However, the BCB president has yet to receive and approve the central contract list. After that, the board will finalize the decision by 31st December 2023 ( Sunday).
The ODI ex-skipper earlier represented Bangladesh against New Zealand for the three-match home ODI series. It was during September before the ICC World Cup 2023 started in India.
Tamim played just 12 ODIs in 2023 and one Test match. Also, he omitted the Asia Cup 2023 for 2 reasons: his injury and the controversy with Shakib Al Hasan.
The previous month, Tamim Iqbal stated clearly that he had plans to make a comeback with the upcoming BPL (Bangladesh Premier League) which is a franchise-based tournament. It will be starting on January 19.
According to the revelation talks from Tamim Iqbal, he says that he had told the selectors about his body condition. After the 2nd ODI against New Zealand, he had asked the selectors to keep in mind the pain he had gone through with the injury.
Tamim further added that when he spoke to his physiotherapist and coach, they agreed and allowed him to play the first game against Afghanistan.
Later he seemed to be very surprised about how it was portrayed in the media as if he was not fit and he shouldn’t have played whereas everything was discussed and agreed upon before playing.
Tamim expressed that he didn’t want to create any controversy from his side and had asked selectors to keep his injury in mind while selecting him.
Bangladesh’s chief selector, Minhajul Abedin, conveyed the reason for Tamim’s self-exclusion. He said that medical staff had recommended him to take rest after his back injury.
As a result, Tamim received adequate rest according to the instructions, following the second ODI cricket match against New Zealand last week.
The 34-year-old cricketer had a minimal appearance in 2023. After his exclusion from the Cricket World Cup 2023, he voiced his frustration.
Tamim alleged that a senior official of the Bangladesh Cricket Board had influenced him to withdraw from the World Cup. Further, he added that the official imposed unrealistic fitness targets and batting orders.
Tamim Iqbal’s emotional video on his Facebook page had him saying the situation was a ‘Dirty Game’. He further revealed having informed not to include him in the team for the World Cup rather than serving unachievable expectations. After his revelation, everything has fallen under light giving clarity about his absence from the World Cup team.
Tamim had decided to opt himself out of the 2023 World Cup after clashes and disputes with the BCB and the team management. He didn’t show up against New Zealand in the home Test series or for the ongoing New Zealand tour.
Confirming that he has his plans, Tamim Iqbal requests BCB not to include him in the central contract list.
BCB president Nazmul Hasan’s busy schedule with his forthcoming general election campaign led to the abrupt conclusion of the previous meeting with Tamim Iqbal.
Soon another meeting will be planned after the national election. Tamim clearly stated that he would make further decisions regarding his activity after meeting with the BCB President and until then we have to wait.
Bangladesh Cricket Board operations chairman Jalal Yunus had conveyed all this information to the press reporters.
However, Tamim had clearly stated during the previous month that he has plans to return to competitive cricket. Starting on January 19, the country’s owned franchise tournament where Tamim will hit his comeback. The approval from the BCB President is pending. After that step is clear, the BCB will be finalizing the central contract by 31 December 2023